How to Rectify Incorrectly Attached Tenant or Property Cards
In some circumstances a mistake has occurred that results in either a new property or a new tenant being attached to the wrong property or owner. This may be with or without transactions being allocated to the new tenant. As such, the property/tenant needs to be correctly assigned to the right owner and the transactions recorded correctly.
NOTE: This document only refers to rent transactions completed in the current accounting month where the owner has sufficient funds to reverse the receipts.
This document will cover:-
- How to Rectify if Rent has not Been Receipted
- How to Rectify if Rent has Been Receipted
How to Rectify if Rent has Not Been Receipted
A new tenant and/or property have been incorrectly assigned to the new owner. Rent has not been receipted and the tenant/property needs to be assigned or separated to a new owner. This Procedure can still be carried out if a tenant deposit has been paid.
If the Tenant ONLY has been assigned to the incorrect Property
You can transfer the Tenant to a different Property, providing there are no other transactions against this Tenant. A holding deposit receipted will transfer over when changing to the new property
Go to Files > Tenant or click on the tenant icon on the desktop
Enter the tenant alpha index and press Enter
Backspace to delete the existing Property alpha in the property field
4. Enter the correct Property alpha index and press Enter
5. A confirmation will appear “You are about to change the Property If this is the correct property of this tenant, do you want to continue? select Yes
If the Property and Tenant has been assigned to the incorrect Owner
You can transfer the Property and Tenant to a new owner, providing there is no other transactions against this property. Changing the Property with transactions to a new Owner would cause all the history to move over to the new owner and therefore not be accessible by the previous/incorrect owner.
Go to Files > Property or click on the property icon
Enter the property alpha index and press Enter
Delete the existing Owner alpha in the owner field
4. Enter the correct owner alpha index and press Enter
5. A confirmation will appear “You are about to change the ownership of this Property. Do you want to continue? select Yes
How to Rectify if Rent has been Receipted
A new tenant and/or property have been incorrectly assigned to an owner. Rent has been receipted but not disbursed. The tenant/property need to be assigned or separated to a new owner.
NOTE: As there have been transactions against the initial tenant details in the current month, the tenant details card cannot be simply reassigned to a new property. As such, a new property and tenant card will need to be setup with the same details as the existing property or tenant already in REST. Ideally, the same property or tenant alpha should be used.
Go to Transactions > Cancel Transactions > Receipt Reversal
NOTE: Sufficient funds will be required to cancel the receipt/s
Enter the receipt number and press Enter
Follow prompts to cancel the receipt
Go to the existing Property and/or Tenant and put a Z in front of the alpha i.e. Tenant ALBAJ will become ZALBAJ, property LOUISA16/7 will become ZLOUIS16/7
3. Setup a new Property and/or Tenant using the original alpha indexes and attach to the correct Owner/Property
NOTE: You will only need to setup a new tenant card if it was the tenant attached to the incorrect property, however in the scenario where a property has been attached to wrong Owner, both Tenant and Property would need to be setup.
4. Re-receipt all rent receipts in the current period
- Go to Transactions > Rent Receipt or select the receipt icon on the desktop
- Enter the tenant alpha index and select and press Enter
- Enter each receipt as it was originally receipted
- Change the banked date to the date that the original receipts were banked
5. Archive the old Property and/or Tenant as required.This will need to be done straight after end of month