Gmail Setup in Outlook for use with REST Professional
This document will assist your IT support to setup Gmail in Outlook for use with REST Professional.
NOTE: These instructions are provided as a courtesy and without warranty to assist you or your IT support staff to configure Outlook to work with Gmail. Microsoft Outlook and Google Mail are not Rockend products therefore Rockend cannot provide support for these third party applications. These settings have been tested and known to work at the time of this document revision.
In Outlook, create a new IMAP account:
- Go to Tools > Email Accounts using the following settings when creating the new the account:
- Your Name: A name to display when sending emails
- Email Address: email address (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.googlemail.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.googlemail.com
- User Name: Generally this is the complete email address (i.e. email@example.com).Password: Gmail password
- Click on "More Settings"
On the "Outgoing Server" tab, check the box that says "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication", ensure the radio button option "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" is checked.
- On the "Advanced" tab:
- Change the "Incoming server (IMAP)" port number to 993.
- Check the "Incoming server (IMAP)" is set for SSL encrypted connection.
- Change the "Outgoing server (SMTP)" port number to 465.
- Check that "Outgoing server (SMTP)" is set for SSL encrypted connection.
- On the “Sent Items” tab, click the radio button option “Save sent items in the Sent Items folder on this computer”
NOTE: If this option is not available, you should be able to un-tick the option “Do not save copies of sent items….”, this will allow the sent email to be saved locally and REST should be able to retrieve it
- Click "OK"
- Click "Next"
- Click "Finish"
NOTE: These steps may vary depending on the version of Outlook you are using.